Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Barbie, Mickey out, action heroes in

Youngsters are very particular about which cartoon character or movie idol can grace their school bags, tiffin box, pencil case and so on
No school bag, tiffin box, water bottle or pencil case is even considered if it doesn?t come with a cool Power Ranger, Harry Potter, Ninja Turtles? design or picture on it. And nobody wants to touch anything with the colour pink as it?s considered too girly and common. Barbie doll and Mickey Mouse are over the hill!
?Mickey Mouse is so old. He belonged to my sister?s era. I am all for Power Rangers. My dad didn?t want to buy me a Power Ranger school bag so I requested my uncle who lives in Mumbai to buy me one. Can?t wait to see it. My cousins also promised to send me all the new stuff they have bought,? says six-year-old Rahul Srivastava.


If you still want to stick with something old, Pokemon and Beyblade are a safe bet since kids are still crazy about them. When asked why Barbie, a perennial favourite till the other day, is no longer considered cool, A. Pooja a fifth standard student says, ?She is a little old now. My older cousins who are in high school had Barbie merchandise, so wouldn?t I look really outdated if I sported something with Barbie on it?? Pooja prefers the cartoon character Tweety and Powerpuff girls instead. ?Powerpuff girls are very friendly but can destroy the evil fly if they feel like, what can Barbie do?,? she asks.

If you think girls ignoring Barbie is shocking, boys are bored of navy blue and black coloured school bags. Bhargava Sai, a 12-year-old says, ?It?s so annoying to see only girls sport colourful things whereas we have just black or navy blue bags. Now I have a nice Power Ranger water bottle and can?t wait to take it to school. My cousin who lives in America sent me Bayblade erasers and pencil sharpeners. I?m sure nobody has them. Atleast I haven?t seen them in any of the shops here.?

Talking about shops, shopkeepers say they are being bombarded with demands for Power Rangers and Beyblade merchandise. ?We have enough Beyblade merchandise but are not able to meet the demand for Power Ranger stock,? says Sunil Prakash, owner of Prakash Party Shop. Other stores in the meanwhile cash in on all time favourite characters like Harry Potter. ?Pencil boxes with characters from the Harry Potter ?s latest movie have all been sold out,? says Venkat Prasad, the sales manager at Lifestyle.

Related Posts by Categories



|

No comments: